God of War creator David Jaffe shared his thoughts on the recently released Sons of Sparta and he really he doesn't like it even though he only plays for one hour.
This week's State of the Game was big for PlayStation in general, but it was especially memorable for anyone hoping Kratos would return. Not only did we get confirmation that the first three games in the series are being remade, but we also got a sneak peek of the long-announced Metroidvania spin-off, Sons of Sparta.
The sudden release of a brand new God of War game was a great way to end the state of the game, and so far many players seem to be digging Sons of Sparta, even if they're having trouble getting its co-op to work. One notable person who No however, like Sons of Sparta, series creator David Jaffe shared a rather scathing review recently.
God Of War Creator Says Sons Of Sparta 'Doesn't Make Bloody Sense'
David Jaffe doesn't really care about Sons Of Sparta
On his YouTube channel, Jaffe shared a video on Sons of Sparta that immediately clarifies his thoughts with a thumbnail calling it “total bullshit.” In the video, Jaffe admits that Sons of Sparta is the kind of game he's “always wanted” since God of War, as he's “cool” with the idea of a 2D God of War game.
But that's where Jaffe's interest ends, as he says Sons of Sparta isn't what he was talking about. Jaffe says he doesn't like the game and can't recommend it, so he'll be asking what Sony Santa Monica thought of the spin-off. However, the issues with the God of War creator do not seem to be related to the gameplay, as he notes that it is “functional” and “fine”.
Instead, Jaffe seems to be concerned about why Sons of Sparta even exists. Jaffe says that “this isn't God of War” and questions who even wants to play as young Kratos, who is just “a regular kid”. Jaffe thinks the team wanted to go after something like Blasphemous or recent indie games like Ninja Gaiden: Ragebound, but that the production values of Sons of Sparta just don't compare.
Overall, it's clear that Jaffe's main issue with Sons of Sparta isn't really about the game itself, but what it represents for God of War and the missed opportunity to play as the Kratos everyone knows and loves. So far, it seems many players aren't as unhappy as he is, but it's safe to say that Sons of Sparta doesn't have the author's stamp of approval.
David Jaffe doubled on Sons Of Sparta in the follow-up video
At least he played a little now
Following Jaffe's Sons of Sparta video yesterday, the God of War creator has uploaded another video sharing his thoughts from the next few hours of gameplay. Jaffe admits he was a bit “aggressive” but that he mostly did it theatrically and ended up playing Sons of Sparta for another three hours.
However, during those three hours, Jaffe admits that “nothing really changed” and that his annoyance with it all stems from his previous involvement with the series and his belief that the prequel was a bad call. Jaffe compares Sons of Sparta to the recently revealed Belmont's Curse, which he says looks like a proper Metroidvania compared to a “mobile game”.
Jaffe's video is much longer this time around and goes more in-depth on what he thinks are the problems with Sons of Sparta, from Sony Santa Monica's apparent “obsession” with playing as children to the in-game combat. One thing's for sure, though, and that's that Jaffe isn't changing his mind about Sons of Sparta anytime soon.
God of War: Sons of Sparta

- Released
-
February 12, 2026
- ESRB
-
Teen / Blood, Violence
- Publishers
-
Sony Interactive Entertainment
- Number of players
-
1-2 players
I can't believe Silent Hill has been set in the UK for so long
Margaret Thatcher is a bigger monster than Pyramid Head ever was.
