Tom Lockyer collapses, rushed to hospital with cardiac attack in Luton vs Bournemouth

Luton captain Tom Lockyer suffered a cardiac arrest that forced the abandonment of his team’s Premier League match at Bournemouth on Sunday morning (AEDT).

Luton’s game was halted midway through the second half with the score at 1-1 after defender Lockyer collapsed on the pitch.

The Wales international was removed from the field of play on a stretcher surrounded by a medical team to a standing ovation from the crowd.

The Premier League confirmed the match had been abandoned and Luton later said he was in a stable condition in hospital.

“Our medical staff have confirmed that the Hatters captain suffered a cardiac arrest on the pitch, but was responsive by the time he was taken off on the stretcher,” the club said in a statement.

“He received further treatment inside the stadium, for which we once again thank the medical teams from both sides. Tom was transferred to hospital, where we can reassure supporters that he is stable and currently undergoing further tests with his family at his bedside.”

The club issued a further statement hours later with more details.

The 29-year-old had heart surgery after collapsing during Luton’s Championship play-off final win against Coventry in late May.

Lockyer had suffered an atrial fibrillation, but recovered in hospital and underwent surgery. He was given the all clear to continue playing after Luton were promoted to the Premier League.

He returned to action for the start of the new season and had made 15 appearances so far in all competitions before Saturday’s match.

Wales posted on X, formerly known as Twitter: “Our thoughts are with Tom Lockyer.”

It as referee Simon Hooper that called off the game after a break of 25 minutes.

In an earlier statement, Luton thanked Bournemouth’s staff and fans, and explained why their team understandably felt they could not continue with the game.

“We all hope and pray for our leader and captain Tom Lockyer, who is thankfully responsive and has been taken to hospital. We don’t know the full extent of what happened and what the next steps are at this stage, but we thank Bournemouth and the medical staff on both sides for their immediate response, which was absolutely amazing.

“We are sorry to all supporters present that players from both sides were in no state of mind to continue with the game after seeing their much-loved teammate and friend taken off like that, and staff could not carry on with managing the game in such circumstances having had to deal with the situation.

“We thank everyone for the wonderful applause and singing of Locks’ name inside the stadium at such a difficult time.

“Now is the time for all of our players, staff and supporters to come together as we always do and give our love and support to Tom and his family. Our thoughts are with him and them all.”

Leave a Comment