Fremantle Docker Michael Frederick subbed out after big hit from St Kilda defender Jimmy Webster at Marvel Stadium

Freo forward Michael Frederick was subbed out of the game against St Kilda after receiving a heavy knock from Saints defender Jimmy Webster early in the opening term.

Webster, who was suspended for seven weeks after a high bump on Jy Simpkin in a pre-season game in March, came in with speed to make an intercept in a marking contest.

Watch every game of every round this Toyota AFL Premiership Season LIVE with no ad-breaks during play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial today >

He made heavy contact with Frederick, who was bravely running back with the flight attempting to mark, as Webster jumped over the top of him to bring the ball to ground.

“He got a lot of Sherrin,” Dwayne Russell said in commentary.

“That is just contesting the ball, I don’t think there is much more Jimmy Webster could have done,” Jason Dunstall added.

No Dockers remonstrated after the clash which had Frederick lying on the ground for more than a minute as the Saints went on to score at the other end.

Webster had also pulled up sore from the incident but ran off the pain.

“I don’t know if he can be criticised in any way for that contest,” Nathan Buckley said.

After the goal, the cart came on to assist Frederick from the field, but the 24-year-old got to his feet and ran off.

He was later subbed off for Emmett with seven minutes remaining in the quarter.

At halftime of a close contest, the Dockers held a narrow edge, leading 5.6 (36) to 5.3 (33).

Back in March, fans and experts alike reacted with outrage after Webster’s sickening high shot rocked the pre-season game.

Less than a week after Port Adelaide’s Sam Powell-Pepper was handed a four-week ban for his high shot on Crow Mark Keane, Webster wiped out Simpkin at Moorabbin Oval.

Simpkin, who has a history of concussion issues, had just kicked the ball on the boundary line when Webster jumped from the ground and collected the midfielder with the full force of his body and tucked elbow.

The incident sparked a melee between the teams and Simpkin required medical attention before being helped from the ground.

The North co-captain played no further part in the game and Webster was handed a heavy ban from the Tribunal.

Webster said he “deeply regretted” his actions in a statement released the day after the game.

“I’ve reached out to Jy and cannot understate my remorse. My thoughts are with Jy and his family and I hope he has a speedy and successful recovery,” Webster said.

“I fully recognise the importance of protecting players’ heads and in this instance, I failed to meet that much-needed standard.

“I will present to the Tribunal and understand there will be consequences for my actions.”

Leave a Comment