Gaza aid not reaching the population: UN

Yemen’s Houthis respond to US-British attack by attacking US aircraft carrier Eisenhower in the Red Sea

WASHINGTON: Yemen’s Houthis launched a retaliatory missile attack on the US aircraft carrier Eisenhower in the Red Sea in response to UK and US strikes on Yemen’s Sanaa, Hodeidah and Taiz provinces that killed 16 people, Houthi military spokesman Yahya said in a televised broadcast. Sarees. statement on Friday.

Houthi Al-Masirah television reported on Friday that at least 42 people were wounded in the attack.
The attacks targeted a radio building in the Al-Hawk district of Hodeida and the port of Salif.

The United States and Britain struck 13 Houthi targets at multiple locations in Yemen on Thursday in response to a recent increase in attacks by the Iran-backed militia group on ships in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden, three U.S. officials said.

Yemen’s Houthis launched a missile attack on the US aircraft carrier Eisenhower in the Red Sea in response to UK and US strikes on the Yemeni provinces of Sanaa, Hodeidah and Taiz, Houthi spokesman Yahya Saree said in a televised statement on Friday.

US and British warplanes and US ships hit numerous underground facilities, missile launchers, command and control posts, a Houthi vessel and other facilities, officials said. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity to provide early details of the ongoing military operation.

The U.S. also struck eight unmanned aerial vehicles in Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen that were determined to pose a threat to U.S. and coalition forces.

The attacks came a day after a US MQ-9 Reaper drone was downed in Yemen and the Houthis released footage they said showed the plane had been targeted by a surface-to-air missile in a desert area of ​​Yemen’s central Marib province. This was the third such shooting this month alone.

Also earlier this week, missile strikes twice damaged a Marshall Islands-flagged Greek ship in the Red Sea off the coast of Yemen, and a private security firm said radio traffic showed the ship had taken on water after being struck. Although no group has claimed responsibility, suspicion has fallen on the Houthis.

This is the fifth time that US and British forces have conducted a joint operation against the Houthis since January 12. But the U.S. also conducts near-daily strikes to destroy Houthi targets, including incoming missiles and drones aimed at ships, as well as weapons that were ready to be launched.

US F/A-18 fighter jets launched from the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower aircraft carrier in the Red Sea, officials said. Other US warships in the region also participated.

The Houthis have stepped up attacks on ships in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden in recent months and have demanded that Israel end the Gaza war, which has killed more than 36,000 Palestinians. The war began after Hamas-led militants attacked Israel on October 7, killing about 1,200 people and taking about 250 hostages.

The Houthis have carried out more than 50 attacks on ships since November, seizing one ship and sinking another, according to the US Maritime Administration.

Shipping through the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden has declined due to the threat.

US warships, meanwhile, have destroyed numerous missile launches and drones targeting vessels in the region over the past week.

President Joe Biden and other senior leaders have repeatedly warned that the United States will not tolerate Houthi attacks on commercial ships. However, the counter-attacks do not appear to have dampened the Houthis’ campaign against shipping in the region.

Leave a Comment