Michael Slater: Former Australian Test cricketer accused of stalking, assaulting woman

Lawyers for disgraced former Test cricketer Michael Slater have withdrawn from court proceedings just weeks after he was charged with a series of domestic violence offences.

Mr Slater’s case was briefly mentioned before the Maroochydore Magistrates Court on Friday, where it was adjourned for a further four weeks.

The court was told his legal team – who were unable to attend the proceedings – applied to withdraw, which was granted by Judge Matthew McLaughlin.

A city agent representing Mr Slater’s lawyer said the material could be mailed to his new lawyer “in the future”.

Mr Slater has spent the past month in custody on a range of charges including entering a dwelling with intent at night, strangulation, assault occasioning bodily harm, stalking and breaching bail.

They include an alleged trove of more than 300 offensive texts – 203 of which are said to have been sent in the 24 hours between March 11 and 12 this year.

Maroochydore Magistrate’s Court has already heard that Mr. Slater denies any allegations of violence against the complainant.

The former cricket legend broke down in court in April after learning his bail application had been refused.

During Friday’s remarks, Judge McLaughlin expressed surprise that the police had already produced a brief of evidence.

“He (Mr Slater) was charged on April 13,” he said.

“That has to be a record.”

The matter was adjourned to June 28 for further consideration of the obligations.

Mr Slater remains in custody.

All of his charges relate to events that allegedly took place between December 5, 2023 and April 12 this year.

Police state in court documents that Mr. Slater sent hundreds of abusive text messages to the woman, calling her a “whore”, “chaperon”, “liar” and “whore”, while threatening to take her own life.

Others on various dates included statements such as: “Okay, I’m coming to you”; “You’re going to hurt me aren’t you” and “What have you done”.

In addition, on March 17, Mr Slater allegedly accessed the woman’s CCTV camera on the porch of her house and turned it towards her home.

It is believed to have happened when the woman was giving a statement to officers at Noosa Police Station, where she was alerted to the act via an app on her phone.

Mr Slater’s residential entry charge relates to allegations he broke into the complainant’s house on April 12, smashed a window and repeatedly shouted “fuck you” and “where’s your daughter”.

The charge of strangulation and assault occasioning bodily harm was linked to allegations he had earlier punched a woman at his Noosa Heads home after she attended out of concern for his welfare.

Police allege Mr Slater then choked her in the laundry room as she tried to escape.

He further allegedly threatened to kill her while holding an empty bottle of vodka.

In his cricketing career between 1993 and 2001, Mr Slater scored 5,312 runs, played 74 Tests and 42 One Day Internationals for Australia.

Mr Slater then moved into commentating on Channel 7 and Channel 9 after retiring from cricket.

Originally published as Former Test cricketer Michael Slater accused of stalking and assaulting woman

Leave a Comment