‘Absolutely devastating’: Boxing champion Andrew Tham dead at 28

A Scottish boxing champion has died following a horrific motorbike accident days after his big title fight.

Andrew Tham, 28, was out on his beloved Kawasaki bike when he collided with a Hyundai Tucson on the B8039, near Lenziemill Road, Cumbernauld, north of Glasgow, on May 30.

UFC 303: MCGREGOR VS CHANDLER | SUN 30 JUNE AT 12:00 AEST | Order now with Main Event on Kayo Sports. Main event on Kayo Sports and Foxtel, the exclusive home of UFC Pay-Per-View.

The police were called to the scene around 6:50 p.m.

Andrew was taken to Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow with serious injuries.

Sadly, he died in hospital on Sunday 2nd June.

The driver and passengers of the car were taken to Monklands University Hospital in Airdrie and released after being treated for minor injuries.

The accident came just days after Andrew lost to undefeated George Stewart in their Celtic featherweight title clash.

Following the devastating news, Stewart paid tribute to his rival, saying it was “a great honour” to share the ring with him two weeks ago.

He wrote: “I am absolutely devastated to hear the news of Andy Tham’s death.

“It was an absolute honor and a pleasure to share the ring with him two weeks ago. A true warrior.

“I have no words to describe this devastating news other than heartbreaking.

“My thoughts and condolences are with his family and friends.”

Since then, several tributes have followed the boxer on social media.

One person wrote: “Very sad news. I was literally looking at him on the cover of Ravenscraig weeks ago – life is so precious. I am thinking of my poor family.’

Another said: “I only saw him box a few weeks ago in Ravenscraig, such a tragedy.”

A third added: “Absolutely devastating, I can’t believe it.”

A fourth said: “One life taken too soon. My thoughts are with the friends and families involved.”

The police confirmed that the investigation is continuing to establish all the circumstances of the accident.

Anyone with information was urged to come forward.

Sergeant Gemma Blackadder, from Motherwell Road Policing Unit, said: “Our thoughts are with Andrew’s family and friends at what is a very difficult time for them.

“Investigations into the full circumstances of this accident are ongoing.”

This story first appeared in The Sun and has been republished with permission.

Leave a Comment