Justin Stein trial: Charlise Mutten murder trial enters final stages

Suspected killer Justin Stein gave his final message to the jury that will decide his fate in days: “I never killed Charlize”.

After more than 40 witnesses gave evidence, Mr Stein’s murder trial entered its final phase in the NSW Supreme Court.

Mr. Stein was the only witness called in the defense case, and all evidence concluded on Tuesday and closing arguments will begin.

The 33-year-old is accused of murdering Charlise Mutten, the daughter of his ex-fiancée Kallista Mutten, on property owned by his parents before dumping her body, which was hidden in a plastic barrel, near the Colo River.

He pleaded not guilty to the murder, but he admits that he gave up the nine-year-old’s body.

In his latest censure from Crown prosecutor Ken McKay SC, Mr Stein denied all the allegations against him.

“The truth was you killed Charlise Mutten,” the prosecutor said.

Mr. Stein replied, “No, I never killed Charlise”.

Mr. McKay gave several hints that Mr. Stein made up lies under the pretense that he was looking for Charlize on the night of January 13th, but in reality he was looking for somewhere to dump the girl’s body.

“I’m going to suggest to you that when you told Kallista Mutten that Charlise was staying with a woman, you did it because you knew you killed Charlise Mutten and you had to somehow explain why she was missing,” he said prosecutor.

Mr. Stein answered “No” to all the allegations.

Charlise traveled to Sydney from Tweed Heads on December 21, 2021 and spent time between Mr Stein’s family property in Mount Wilson, where she was allegedly killed, and the Riviera Ski Gardens car park in Lower Portland, about 90 minutes away.

Prosecutors allege that Stein was the “last person” to see Charlise and had the opportunity to kill her between 7:16 p.m. on January 11 and 10:06 a.m. on January 12.

Mrs. Mutten said in her evidence that Mr. Stein said Charlise woke up vomiting in the early hours of January 12 and left her in the care of the auctioneer before leaving to spend the day together.

According to Ms Mutten, the pair spent the day injecting themselves with ice and having sex before the jury heard they returned to the Mount Wilson estate at around 8.44pm and found no one home.

The barrel containing Charlize’s body was found on January 18, 2022, after police went to the scene after examining Stein’s phone.

Mr Stein became emotional on Monday as he told the jury he saw Ms Mutten shoot her daughter on the night of January 12. Ms Mutten denies the claims.

The trial before Judge Helen Wilson continues.

Leave a Comment